Puppy Clothes

Best Puppy Clothes, Style, Fashion

dogchocolate 150x150 Puppy vs. the Halloween candy
Chocolate is very toxic to animals
.  There is a compound in chocolate called, Theobromine.  Theobromine is part of the cacao bean and although not toxic to humans it is very bad for your pet.  Humans have the ability to break down Theobromine in our systems; it doesn’t poison us.  Animals do not have this ability and therefore chocolate is extremely dangerous to them.
Please remember to keep candy dishes far away from your pup’s curiosity. Make sure he can’t jump up and crash the bowl over onto the floor.  Even if you decide not to buy anything chocolate to pass out to trick-or-treaters keep in mind that wrappers are not safe either.
Dogs are known to have quite a sweet-tooth.
Thery don’t have a natural instinct to stay away from something their body cannot digest, instead they want to eat it!  Wrappers will be inhaled along with candy and all–and this is not good, as you can imagine.  Plastic doesn’t really breakdown internally and it will make your doggy sick and could obstruct his bowels.
Keep candy far away from your puppy!
I know this feels kind of mean because he’s just a cute, slobbery, innocent puppy looking for a treat.  So you can get your pet some safe treats for Halloween.
Run up to your favorite dog store and buy a few delicious doggie safe treats and give a few to him throughout the night.  This will let your dog know that you care and that you aren’t neglecting him.  It will also help to positively reinforce his good behavior, give him a treat when he behaves well and he will learn to love Halloween!

If there is an accident on Halloween and your very curious puppy ingests chocolate please look out for these signs if there is trouble:

Trembling/Nervousness (this is due to the caffeine in chocolate)
Vomiting/Diarrhea (put your dog in a safe place with a tile floor so you can easily clean up the mess)
Muscle Spasms and Seizures

These things usually happen in about 12 hours after consumption.  Keep in mind that a larger dog would have to eat about 2 lbs of chocolate in order to be toxic so a little miniature Hershey bar isn’t going to hurt him.
All dogs are different though and that doesn’t mean your puppy’s system won’t be harmed by small amounts of chocolate.  It is best that they never have any.  If you keep chocolate to yourself and leave the dog biscuits to your dog, you’ll both have a happy life together.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,